indicates how soon the bug should be fixed. Severity indicates the seriousness of the defect on the product
functionality. More severe the defect is, higher the priority is given to
ensure the defects are fixed as soon as possible to maintain the quality of the
A bug that would damage data is more severe than something that is just
annoying like say some functionality taking too long to load. Both should be
fixed but those with higher negative impact should be fixed first.
Bug Report should contain the following
Defect management process is very useful to identify the defect of the software for the following reasons:
- Provide developers and other parties with feedback about the problem to enable identification, isolation and correction
- Provide test leaders means of tracking the quality of the system under test and the progress of the testing
- Provide ideas for test process improvement
- Find defects easily and at a very early stage of process because as soon as the defect is detected the cost of fixing it will be low
- RTM is mapping between test cases and customer
- It is used to track the requirements and to
check the current project requirements are met.
- RTM is prepared before test case
designing. Requirements should be traceable from review activities.
main purpose of Requirement Traceability Matrix is to see that all test cases
are covered so that no functionality should miss while doing Software testing.
A test cycle is the variation of regression testing
represented as N+1. In this technique the testing is performed in multiple
cycles in which errors found in test cycle ‘N’ are resolved and re-tested in
test cycle N+1. The cycle is repeated unless there are no errors found.
Case is defined as a set of actions executed to verify a particular feature
or functionality of the software application. A Test Scenario is defined
as any functionality that can be tested. It is also called Test Condition. Test scenarios
cover a wide range of possibilities.
| Test Scenario || Test Cases |
Check Login Functionality
Test Case 1: Check results on entering
valid User Id & Password
Test Case 2: Check results on entering
Invalid User ID & Password
Test Case 3: Check response when a User
ID is Empty & Login Button is pressed
And many more.
cases and Test Scenario are the documents used by the testers to ensure that
the application meets the customer requirements. These are the most important
documents that the testers prepare prior to testing. Even though the core
objective of the documents is the same, there is a difference in their